SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Police Department state that a man and his two children were discovered dead inside the home, the electricity had been off since Friday, May 31st, and a generator was located inside the residence.
According to police, the owner made a stop the home Monday evening after attempting to reach the family several times over the weekend, the 56-year-old father nor his daughters, ages 9 and 11, were responding to messages or calls.
Officials state the generator located inside the residence was fuel-powered and turned on but not running. First responders found high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas that can be discharged by generators, and become trapped when confided in an enclosed space.
Police said they have not discovered any signs of trauma, cause of death are still pending to rule out any other possibilities. The names of the victims were not immediately released, and officials are unsure why the electricity to the home was not working.
San Antonio Fire Department spokesman Woody Woodward stated that generators should never be kept inside homes.
Preventing CO leaks and poisoning
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has several tips for the prevention of CO poisoning in the home. Tips include:
- Having an operating, well-maintained CO detector
- Having heating systems, water heaters and other gas, oil or coal burning appliances checked out by a qualified technician yearly
- Report strange odors coming from your refrigerator
- Make sure gas appliances are vented properly
Do you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?
The CDC says the most common signs of CO poisoning are:
- upset stomach
- chest pain
The CDC says symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” Breathing high amounts of CO can make you pass out or kill you — and people who are asleep can die before even knowing they are having symptoms.
Join the conversation
All content © 2019 GHM or their respective parties. All rights reserved.