Mixed pool chemicals in pickup truck cause parking lot fire at MG Building Materials

Kerrville Fire Department and hazmat crews have MG Building Materials shut down at this hour due to a fire caused by mixed chemicals early this afternoon.

Muriatic acid and chlorine are to blame for setting the back of a pickup truck on fire that was parked in front of MG Building Materials in the parking lot. The man had just picked up the chemicals from a pool shop and they spilled in the back of the truck.

Assistant Manager Misty Ayala told Kerrville Breaking News that the fire was going for about 8-9 minutes in the back of the truck when they took on the blaze with fire extinguishers. Kerrville Fire Department showed up shortly after.

Since the two chemicals create a toxic gas when they are mixed and come into contact with metal, emergency crews shut down MG Building Materials at 2pm until hazmat crews could deem the area safe for human exposure.

Kerrville Fire Department told Assistant manager Misty Ayala that they would remain on scene until a clean up crew could arrive to clean up the chemical mess.

MG Building Materials is expected to re-open tomorrow morning.

Get Texas Breaking News Updates

Join the conversation

All content © 2019 GHM or their respective parties. All rights reserved.


To Top